Here are some suggestions for vegetables to plant in Autumn (March, April & May) in the Blue Mountains NSW Australia . These can be either direct sow into the ground or into seedling trays ready to plant out in a few weeks.
- Endive, raddichio & chicory
- Kohl Rabi
- Fennel (florence)
- Land Cress & Water Cress
- Pak choy & other related brassica greens (Komatsuna, Choy sum, Bok choy etc)
- Corn Salad
- Silver Beet (chard)
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Calendula, Dandelion and other salad greens
Roots & Shoots
- Daikon and other radishes
- Sunchoke or Artichoke Jerusalem (these will sit for a while and sprout again in the late winter in our climate)
- Cardoon & Globe Artichoke
- Broad Beans (fava/faba)
- Snow peas
- Oregano & Majoram
- Salad Burnett
- Celery, Alexanders & other related
This is also the right time to start thinking about what bare root fruit trees you want to plant during winter. Please suggest any others that you are successfully planting in Autumn.
Also see the post – What to plant in late Autumn and into winter
Thanks… Sadly the only things we’ll get time to plant this year are retaining wall footings 😦
Grow stuff in pots!! then you can keep on with your digging in the rocky ground…
this winter all my veg planting will be in pots and tubs and I find that they do well provided I keep up with the water and some organic feeding. Its amazing how much can be planted in one of the old black recycling tubs.
Winter is also a really good time to move deciduous fruit trees. I have a greengage that is too close to the back verandah and I plan to shift it in late June.